Time and Energy was listed as the sixth item of the Top Ten list of things I learned by giving 100 free sessions.
When I first announced this promotion, I had no idea how much support I would get in finding 100 people. It all began when I had seen someone else post exactly what I had been thinking of doing, giving 100 free sessions to kick-start my business. So when I saw it, I got a little mad at myself and said, “I’m not waiting anymore!” I jumped right in and posted my intentions in one of my networking Facebook pages. This very action got me out of my scare-d-y pants thinking and propelled me into a new place of getting it done! I didn’t think about perfecting my promotional material, who, what or where. Nope I didn’t wait. I just did it. I found opportunities to talk about it at events, with strangers and friends. When I braved those uncomfortable moments, more people offered to help. I got an article published in The Hague On Line, an online publication for expats living in The Hague. Also a few people shared my goal around Facebook which generated a lot of leads. For a new coach this feeling was electric and palpable. I never wanted this feeling to end! (cue “Time of my Life” song from Dirty Dancing).
I quickly realized I needed to get my administration in order. That took some time as I had to figure out how to design it via my website. This is known as “creating your conversion funnel“. Those first few appointments I fumbled a bit. Fortunately, no one seemed to notice but me. I felt great about being busy but I also was starting to feel tired. I had a lot to learn and I didn’t know how I could do it all. By creating my funnel, I also had to establish a “firm” appointment schedule. Pffft! But because of lack of planning, I had to be flexible if I wanted to reach this lofty goal of 100 free sessions! And by that I also had to be prepared to go anywhere. I traveled everywhere to meet people. Why, oh, why did I do this to myself?!
I was excited and just did it! Something that comes natural to me. But if I could offer any advice, should you go for it and do 100 sessions, start here:
- Sit down and look at your calendar
- Plot out what amount of time you are able to do every week towards your goal.
- Give yourself enough time to reach 100, so you don’t feel desperate and do impossible things with your time and energy. 🙂 For example: Your goal, 100 sessions = 100 hours. Each week you can devout, 10 hours for sessions. That means it will take 10 weeks, or 2 1/2 months.
- Set boundaries. Make sure to say you are only doing face to face sessions at these set times or don’t offer them at all. You choose. By the way, over Skype and phone is just as powerful as any face-to-face sessions I have conducted. Let them know that! And then bring it to them when you have the session.
- REST. Do what it takes to give yourself a break. You are helping a lot of people FOR FREE. It will be exhausting. I advise meditation. Not your gig? Go for a walk or take a nap. Remember you are changing lives and that is a GREAT thing to be doing.
- Lastly, really think about the reasons why you wish to do a 100 free session promotion. It’s great feat. I realized later that maybe it was giving too much away and tarnishing the coaching profession. I talk about here and referenced an article over why you shouldn’t do this. See that article at the bottom of that post.